This is the perfect fall recipe – apples, sauerkraut and pork all in one pot. Plus it is a super easy recipe. Throw it in the crock pot or pressure cooker, forget about it, and it’s done in time for dinner.
This is my mom’s recipe and typical of any good recipe, it came from her head and hasn’t been written down until just now. I hope I do it justice. I was reminded of this recipe this weekend when I was teaching people how to make sauerkraut. This is a great way to use it in a cooked recipe and you’ll be surprised at how everyone loves it. Even if you don’t think you or the kids like sauerkraut, I’d recommend trying this. The apple and kraut combination give it a little sweet and sour kick.
If you have any comments on it, I’d love to hear them in the comment section.
- 1 pork roast, about 3 pounds
- 2 cups of sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 1 T caraway seed
- 2 apples, cut up
- 4-5 small potatoes, cut into 2-3 inch pieces
- 2 T brown sugar
- Crock Pot method - Place the pork roast in the bottom of your crock pot or pressure cooker. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cook in crock pot on high for 6-8 hours
- Pressure Cooker Method - The only difference with pressure cooking the roast is that you need to make sure you have enough liquid in the cooker. You can use the sauerkraut juice, but it may result in a very salty roast. I'd recommend adding 1 cup of light beer, or at least the minimum amount required by your cooker to reach pressure. Cook at high pressure for 40 minutes (stovetop cooker) or 55-60 minutes (electric cooker). When the cooking time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally.