This dish may sound strange to the non-Germans out there. Give it a chance – it may surprise you. I like to make this dish with red cabbage, but if you have a green cabbage handy, just use it. You can also mix up the cumin and swap it out with fennel or caraway seeds.
Finally, just to throw in a little pressure cooker love – if you were to make this without the pressure cooker, you’ll be cooking it for about an hour. Here it cooks for 3 minutes under pressure. Can’t beat that.
Have fun and enjoy.
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion,sliced
- 1 t cumin seeds
- 1 small head cabbage (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 t raw sugar
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat the pressure cooker base on medium heat, add the oil, and heat briefly. Stir in the onion and cumin and saute until the onion has softened (about 3 minutes).
- Add the cabbage and stir to distribute the onions.
- Sprinkle with the sugar and salt and then pour the vinegar and waterover the top.
- Close and lock the lid of the pressure cooker. Cook at high pressure for 3 minutes. If using an electric pressure cooker, turn the “keep warm” setting off.
- When the time is up, open the cooker using the Normal Release method.
- Give the cabbage a final stir, transfer to a serving dish, and serve immediately.